Girona Cycling Summer 2024 – 1st June to 15th June 2024
Expert Guided Cycling Holidays in Girona
Cycling in Girona is a special experience. Known as the home to the professional peloton, many of the world’s cycling superstars reside in and around the Girona region, and for good reason, the varied terrain and quiet roads make for cycling paradise. There are numerous “testing” mountain climbs to challenge the most serious of cyclists along with rolling and flatter routes that allow you the time to take in unique stone medieval villages and gorgeous countryside. Our hotel base in the village of Monells is ideal to tackle many of the best routes across the region from the the mountains to the beautiful Costa Brava coastline.
The scheduled change over day is Saturday when riders can choose a self-guided route if arriving early or departing late.
Road Cycling Holidays in Girona
- Cycling in Girona with SunVelo provides the opportunity to ride in groups led by cycling coaches and experienced qualified group leaders.
- We run 2 different level groups each day (excludes Wednesday light recovery ride day and Saturday changeover days)
- All SunVelo ride leaders have ‘official body’ ride leader certification and operate under the guidance of multiple Commonwealth Games cycling medallist, former pro road racer and Northern Irish national team manager Alastair Irvine.
- SunVelo group rides are planned, organised and structured to make the most of your cycling experience.
- A week with SunVelo will add significant mileage to a new or existing training plan
- Cycling in Girona provides the ideal cycling holiday or training camp destination.
- At SunVelo everyone is an equal part and contributor to their own mini team on the road.
- We pride ourselves on the extent of knowledge all members of the ride leading team have of the local roads and country lanes.
- As well as iconic climbs we will take you off the beaten track on some of the best riding roads and country lanes that are seldom used (or even known) by most visitors to the region.
- Our rides are different each day and the variation available will enable you to ride with others at your level, we never leave anyone behind.
- We will guide you to which is the best group to join each day based on your objectives and riding experience.
- Recovery is an important aspect of training. The SunVelo progressive weekly schedule includes a recovery day on Wednesday where riders can either rest or join a SunVelo led “light” group recovery ride of approximately 40km.
Our Riding Groups in Girona
We offer two different level riding groups as detailed below. You can choose your group each day and switch throughout the week to get the most out of your time with SunVelo.
NOTE – as the terrain in Girona can be challenging, as a minimum the ability to ride 80km and climb 800m comfortably each day is advised, along with confidence and competence in the fundamental techniques of cornering, climbing, descending plus the effective and safe use of brakes and gears.
Average: 23kmph to 26kmph
Skill required: Medium (2-3)
Skill required: High (4-5)
Residency collaboration with Hotel Arcs de Monells
As beautiful as the city of Girona is, we do not believe it is a good idea to be based in the city centre itself due to the amount of traffic on large busy roads and highways in and out of the city. Instead, our base is the picturesque medieval village of Monells 25kms east of the city and within easy cycling distance of the Costa Brava and at the foot of the ‘Gavarres’ mountain range.
We are delighted to partner with the family-run Hotel Arcs de Monells providing accommodation full of character and with the acclaimed Monki restaurant attached to the hotel. SunVelo will occupy all 21 rooms of the hotel for the first two weeks of June. Your half board stay (dinner, bed and breakfast) at this unique location provides a buffet breakfast feast of Iberian hams, cheeses, cereals, eggs and bacon and a variety of freshly baked bread, plenty of fruit and pastries with a selection of teas and excellent coffee to set you up for your cycling day.
Dinner at Monki represents Catalan dining at its best from locally sourced market fresh produce with the added twist of Asian fusion featuring as an option several nights of the week. Additionally, two nights of the week we will eat out in the Monells village square at El Roure Blanch restaurant.
We believe in total pricing transparency there are no hidden costs or unexpected add-ons, daily guided group cycling is included with half board accommodation including dinners based at the hotel and village restaurant. Please note a Girona booking will need to start on a Saturday for a duration of either 7 or 14 nights as we will take all 21 rooms available for the two week period from the 1st June.
- Small family run boutique hotel
- Located in the medieval village of Monells
- Approx 35mins from Girona airport
- Single, double or twin bedded rooms available
- 7 night half board stay Saturday to Saturday
- Acclaimed Monki restaurant attached to the hotel for dinner 5 nights of the week
- Dining out 2 nights of the week in local village square restaurant
- Secure bike storage
- Massage service available
- FREE car parking (if required)
- Peaceful gardens with swimming pool onsite
- 35 minutes transfer time from Girona airport in a taxi
- Approx 2 hours in a car from Barcelona airport (we recommend car hire rather than booking expensive taxi)
- Group transfers for 4 people plus can be organised
Girona prices per week
We offer 2 weeks, either 1st to 8th June (last night stay and group ride 7th) or 8th to 15th June (last night stay and group ride 14th). Weeks can be added together should you want to stay 14 nights.
Prices £GBP per person, per week (7 nights) bed, breakfast dinner and daily guided group rides
|Price per week in June,|
Per person 2 people, twin
or double room
|7 nights – 1st to 8th and/or|
7 nights – 8th to 15th
|6 days hire|
|£38 per day|
Financially protected bookings
Rated 4.9 out of 5 based on independent reviews.
Read what customers say here.